Adjustment of Status
The adjustment of status is a very advantageous immigration procedure that allows a person already in the United States to receive a permanent residence card (green card) without having to leave the country. Unfortunately, not all migrants can request it. It is known as AOS for its initials.
The AOS offers two great benefits :
- Avoid the costs of traveling outside the United States to complete the processing of a green card application.
- And above all avoid applying the punishment of 3 and 10 years. It is important to know that this penalty only applies to people who are outside the United States and wish to return with an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa.
Migrants who fall into one of the following categories may do so :
- Immediate relatives of an American citizen: husband, wife, parents, and unmarried minor children of 21 years if they are legally in the USA or if, illegally, their entry was legal and now they are illegal because they overstayed in the country.
- On the other hand, married children, single children over 21 and siblings of American citizens and spouses and children of any age of permanent residents can only adjust their status in the USA if they are legally in the country, and because of delay times only in exceptional cases will be possible.
- Finally, the fiancés of American citizens and the children of those who have entered the United States with K-1 and K-2 visas, respectively. The marriage is required to be contracted within 90 days of entering the country. It is very important to keep in mind that the wedding must be celebrated between the requested person and the one who asks for it. You cannot change your boyfriend/girlfriend.
If you qualify, go to an immigration lawyer immediately so they can provide the list of requirements so that you can prepare everything and start the adjustment. It must be taken into consideration that not everyone is eligible for this process but the only way to be sure is to consult a Mesa immigration attorneys to explain and see if it really is. Take also into account that they are only general assumptions but each case is different and there are more criteria that must be evaluated beforehand.