Removal of Conditions

Removal ConditionsWhen you apply for a green card based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR), you will be granted “conditional residence” status if your marriage is less than two years old on the day that you are lawfully admitted to the United States. In order to remain in the United States indefinitely, or pursue U.S. citizenship, you must successfully apply to have the conditions on your green card removed.

These conditions exist due to concerns that some people only get married in order to obtain a green card,which the federal government considers an attempt to “evade” U.S. immigration laws. As a result, in order to have the conditions on your green card removed, you must be able to prove that you got married in good faith and with the intent to remain in your marriage long-term.

The process for removing conditions on your green card starts with filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

You must demonstrate after two years that your marriage was upon good faith; you have to gather evidence that confirms that you two have been together since and intend to continue together. Some documents that can help is having joint bank accounts, having filed taxes jointly, leases or mortgages under both names, medical records, insurance, and any type of bill and even if you had children in this time frame then their birth certificates will be very helpful as well. Living together and even having some family pictures together is another way to justify this.

Your  Mesa immigration attorney should guide you and explain what type of documents you can provide accordingly to your situation. Another reason why keeping all documents from start all the way to when you obtain citizenship is very fundamental and makes every process along the way much easier and faster.